Sunday, August 30, 2009

Yep, that's what we're doing!




If you are looking for advice on moving to Alaska from this website, this would be like the blind leading the blind. All I can do is tell you good luck, because we are just flying by the seat of our pants ourselves.

How it happened: I spent the summer in Alaska working as a summer RA for the University of Alaska- Fairbanks. During the summer I was offered a year long position at a lab at UAF, and after discussing it with my husband Joe I decided to accept it.

Fairbanks by the way is the most northerly Alaskan city. Don't tell me about Barrow or some of the other towns. City, that's the distinction. I mean besides a university, they have Thai food and things like that.

But I digress...

We had all summer to prepare for my new job which starts September 8th, in Fairbanks. This means getting a place to live and trying to figure out what to do with all our worldly possessions. These were easily disposed of once we realized we could get people to take them FOR FREE. But since they didn't take as much as we'd hoped, we put up a sign on our door: FREE BEER, and that seemed to help. A lady from down the block came the day Joe and I were sweeping the apartment and getting ready to lock the door, and she took my rubber tree plant. Joe carried it to her apartment but told me he stopped just short of going into her apartment when he smelled the cat pee. "OK, enjoy," he said, and ran back out through the alley to our U-Haul.

We left this past Friday (August 28) at 3:45 PM, a late start, but at last we were underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment