Thursday, May 19, 2011

Budbreak

It must have happened some time between Tuesday and Wednesday. Yesterday morning I took the steeper route up Ballaine Road and the hillsides didn't look any different from their typical winter gray-blue under overcast skies. Later the skies cleared and I first noticed it heading home after work--I looked up and saw Ester Dome coated bright velvet green in the evening sun. Maybe it happened after the sun broke through the clouds, or perhaps even Tuesday evening in the lingering heat of what had felt like a summer day.

It seems the set design of spring is the last component to the ongoing wood frog opera, waterfowl airshow, songbird recital, mosquito cotillion and fly jamboree. We wait so long for this--the mild air, the greenery, the explosion of life, and I sometimes forget that it will be over in a few short weeks. Right now I want to enjoy my front row seat to the best show in town.





No comments:

Post a Comment