Thursday, March 10, 2011

Most Insane Aurora Ever!

It was predicted to be a big one by the Geophysical Institute. So I went out around 10 PM, to our mushers field across the road from the cabin, and, yeah, it was beautiful. I stayed out for about an hour, it started to fade, then, deciding I'd seen the best show of the year I came in, crawled into bed, and tried to go to sleep. That had only been a warmup. It got so bright at times I could detect flashes of light through my closed eyelids, like lightning. Between 11:30 and 12:30 it was at its best, and I took most of the images from inside the house looking outside the kitchen window. The aurora is usually visible in the northern sky, but this display stretched across the sky from north to south and west to east. It was huge, incredibly bright, and I have to say, a little alarming. I tried videoing it but there is only a brief moment that it captured the image on my little crappy camera. To the naked eye it was an almost white light flashing across the western sky with some hints of red. These images are but dusty sketches compared to the actual display. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep. Even at 4:00 am I got awakened to find yet another set of white streaks dancing in the sky to the west. I can only imagine what I missed while I was sleeping!









No comments:

Post a Comment